Social Security Card

  1. The Department of Corrections shall provide minimum documentation for identification, including a social security card, necessary to obtain employment. 2016 Code of Alabama, Title 14 – Criminal Correctional and Detention Facilities. Chapter 10 – Discharging Convicts. Section 14-10-1.
  2. If no card was issued, print the Social Security Administraton Form SS-5 ( then completely fill it in. Take the completed form to the Social Security office or Social Security Card Center that serves your area (
  3. Other Social Security Issues.

Birth Certificate

  1. Born in Alabama. If you do not have a copy of your birth certificate, print and complete the following form ADPH-hs14eng (in English – or ADPH-hs14sp (in Spanish – and submit as directed on the form. You can also go online to complete and submit ( ) your information.
  2. Born outside of Alabama. If you were born outside of the State of Alabama, go online to select your State of birth ( ) and find out how to acquire your birth certificate.

Driver’s License or State Issued Picture ID

For ex-offenders recently released, you may not have all of the needed documentations. It will be much easier for you if you can get your original social security card and birth certificate to present to the driver’s license officials. If you do not have your social security card you can do the following. You can submit your birth certificate with your probation or release documents issued by the State or Federal Department of Correction along with the photo ID card issued by the same authority, or felon ID card issued by the Sheriff of the County of the applicant’s release. Also, if you or someone have filed a tax return with your social security number on it in recent years, you can submit that as well. The driver’s license officials will make a determination if the information you provided satisfy their requirements.

WARNING: If you have outstanding warrants you may or may not be detained depending upon the nature of the warrant. Also, if you have had an Alabama driver’s license before, you need to make sure it has not been suspended, revoked, or cancelled. To do so, contact the Alabama Driver License Offices for Reinstatement. If your license has been suspended, revoked, or cancelled you can still get a non-driver identification card which has a photo and other identifying information necessary to satisfy the identification requirements for the Social Security Administration so you can get a social security card. In either cases, you will receive a temporary license or identification card which you must take to the Office of Probate in that county.

You MUST wait until you get your permanent license or identification card from the Office of Probate before you go to the Social Security Administration for you social security card.

Applying for an Alabama Star Driver License or Non-Driver Identification Card

STAR ID Document List

STAR ID Frequently Asked Questions

Driver License Offices

In order to comply with the Federal REAL ID Act, the Alabama Law Enforcement Agency developed the STAR ID program. STAR ID is a step beyond an ordinary Alabama driver license or non-driver identification card and it meets all the requirements of federal law.

Effective October 1, 2020,  every air traveler will need a REAL ID compliant license/ID (STAR ID) or another form of identification for domestic air travel. (See TSA’s website for a full list acceptable identification for domestic air travel)

STAR IDs are issued originally to qualified individuals only at Alabama Law Enforcement Agency Driver License exam offices. County operated license offices will continue to provide renewals/duplicates for license, ID cards, and STAR ID.

Once the provision of the REAL ID Act (STAR ID) goes into effect, individuals who do not have an unexpired U.S. passport will need an Alabama STAR ID to board commercial aircraft for domestic flights or to enter certain regulated federal facilities.

NERVOUS ABOUT DRIVER’S TEST. Learn what to expect, things you need, and how to get behind the wheel faster. If you are an Alabama driver, or want to become one, you will need an Alabama driver license. Getting your license is quite easy. You will have to pass a knowledge test, vision test, and a road skills test. To save you a considerable amount of time, here is a step by step guide that you will need to follow to get a driver license in Alabama.


For the Entire State of Alabama

Autauga County. 218 Court St, Prattville, AL; renew driver’s licenses address is 176 West 5th, Prattville, AL; Hours of operation Mon-Fri 8am-4:30pm.

Bullock County. 303 N. Prairie St, Union Springs, AL; hours of operation is 9am-3:30pm on Thursdays; if you had an Alabama license before you must have your SSN Card & Correctional ID; if you have not had an Alabama license before you will need birth certificate, SSN Card, & 3rd ID; must bring $36.25 in exact change.

Crenshaw County. 29 S Glenwood, Luverne, AL; hours of operation 3rd Wed from 8am-4pm with lunch 12pm-1pm; renew every day; new licenses every 3rd Wednesday.

Elmore County. Driver’s license address is 303 Hill St, Wetumpka, AL 36092; office phone number is (334) 567-8871; hours of operation Mon, Tues, Wed, & Fri 8am-4:30pm, with a lunch break from 12pm-1pm.
Lowndes County. Driver’s license address is 105 East Tuskeena St, Hayneville, AL 36044; office phone number is (334) 548-2637; hours of operation Wed, 8am-4:30pm, with a lunch break from 12pm-12:30pm.

Macon County. Driver’s license address is Gomillion Bldg, 302 South Main St, Tuskegee, AL 36083; office phone number is (334) 720-0574; hours of operation Tues & Wed 9am-4pm, with a lunch break from 12pm-1pm.

Montgomery County. 1040 Colliseum Blvd Montgomery, AL; hours of operation 8am-4:30pm; (334) 274-0306; re-instatement address is 301 South Ripley St, Montgomery, AL , phone# (334)242-4259, & hours are correct; need birth certificate, social security card and one other form of ID.

Pike County. 120 W Church St, Troy, AL; hours of operation Wed-Fri from 8am-4:00pm; (334) 566-7031; $5 each time you take written test; $38.25 in exact cash or VISA/MC (owner of credit card must be present); ID required is birth certificate, SSN Card, 3rd ID (could be Correctional ID).